It seems like everyday you hear someone who has recently tried Hemp-derived Cannabidiol (CBD), or a family member who used CBD to help (insert problem).
You must now be wondering and wanting to learn more about how CBD works and the correct way to use it to help your pains.
Here are 13 things you must know about CBD before your first time use, and your future encyclopedia for CBD aid.
What is CBD?
1. Cannabidiol, also known more popularly as CBD, comes from the hemp plant. CBD is one of at least sixty different compounds found exclusively in cannabis, coining these compounds “cannabinoids”.
Often confused with its psychoactive counterpart THC, CBD proposes many significant health benefits without any of the psychoactive effects. With all the research out on it already, CBD is turning out as a promising solution for those who wish to use natural medicine as an alternative to conventional pharmaceuticals.
2. “I don’t want to get high” is one of the biggest arguments to CBD as medicine, but it doesn’t result in any of the psychoactivity induced by Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). This means that it is suitable for children, the elderly, and those wish to remain clear-headed throughout the day.
3. CBD can either come from the hemp or the bud of the cannabis plant. CBD that is derived from the bud will have more THC in it than that which is harvested from the hemp part of the plant. A small amount of THC will always be in CBD oil but not nearly enough to elicit any or the “high”. The amount of THC in CBD oil will also determine its legality across states where the federal government set set the legal limit at 0.3%. Oils that have more THC and a wider range of other cannabinoids have a greater, more balanced therapeutic because when multiple cannabinoids work together their effect is greater than that on their own. CBD along with the other 59 cannabinoid compounds found in cannabis affects the body through a network of nerves called the endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid system is found throughout the body and deals with a broad spectrum of functions such as appetite, pain reception, mood, and blood pressure to just name a few. This is why CBD has such a big effect on the body.
How Can CBD Help Me?
4. According to studies, the rise in the use of CBD arose largely from its capacity to help chronic conditions, like Epilepsy and Multiple Sclerosis.
However, anecdotal evidence and recent studies show that CBD has the potential to improve the quality of life for nearly everyone, even for those already in good health. CBD has already helped thousands of people who suffer from chronic conditions like anxiety and pain and has the potential to help more people in need. CBD works by absorbing into your blood stream, attaching to receptors in your brain, and tells your receptors in your brain that control pain, anxiety and sleep receptors to calm down and relax.
What Are Some Of The Common Conditions CBD Helps Manage?
According to Studies:
5. Inflammation is at the root of most auto-immune conditions like arthritis, Crohn’s disease, Eczema, and Fibromyalgia. Inflammation is a process by which the body’s white blood cells fight the infection and foreign organisms, such as viruses and bacteria.
CBD is a powerful anti-inflammatory compound, which is the reason many people with chronic conditions and weakened immune systems finally experience relief after choosing CBD oriented treatment.
In a 2016 study, rats with arthritis were administered CBD gel in order to test the anti-inflammatory effects of CBD. After CBD gel was applied to the rats, researchers observed a reduction in inflammatory symptoms and pain in rats. CBD shows lots of promise and more research is soon to come.
6. Pain, specifically chronic pain, arises from inflammation, it is no surprise that CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties will naturally help with pain management. But it’s also noteworthy that CBD is also considered an analgesic, which means it falls under a class of drugs that are designed to relieve pain.
The body’s endocannabinoid system is involved in managing pain perception. This is why CBD is so effective at replacing opiates and a variety of medications in the lives of those who suffer from chronic pain. For anxiety, studies have shown that CBD has reduced stress levels in animals as well as humans. Generalized Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) is one of the most common anxiety conditions and it affects approximately 15 million American adults.
The NCBI performed a study on the impact of CBD on those suffering from Social Anxiety Disorder, participants were asked to give a public speech and the study concluded CBD significantly reduced anxiety, cognitive impairment, and discomfort. In another article by the NCBI, a ten-year-old girl who suffered from PTSD and anxiety had trouble sleeping at home and with social interaction at school. After conventional pharmaceuticals failed to alleviate the symptoms, doctors put her on to CBD oil which helped her control her symptoms more effectively.
7. CBD can be a helpful option for those who suffer from mood disorders like PTSD and anxiety. Insomnia is often related to stress, anxiety and or traumatic events. It is the reason that CBD is equally as successful at helping anxiety-induced Insomnia.
When consumed CBD often results in a ‘wave of relief’ that can be felt throughout the whole body. People who use CBD for insomnia describe feelings of peace, relaxation and calmness. Another great benefit to CBD is it can help reduce symptoms related to PTSD.
Compiled studies from 1986 to 2007 showed that CBD was effective in treating pain without negative side effects. CBD was also concluded to help treat insomnia related to chronic pain. In a 2008 review done by the NCBI, CBD was shown to relieve chronic pain.
8. CBD seems to also be a promising addition for those suffering from cancer. In a 2016 study, CBD is quoted by the National Center for Biotechnology Information to “strongly support the notion that non-psychoactive plant-derived [cannabinoids] can act as direct inhibitors of tumor progression as well as enhance the activity of first-line therapies.” As science advances and CBD becomes more commonly used, there will be more known uses for CBD will become available to the public.
How Do You Use CBD?
9. CBD can come in a variety of forms to choose from. The pure oil form is best used sublingually, under the tongue.
By ingesting CBD oil sublingually, it is absorbed more quickly into the bloodstream through small capillaries located under the tongue as opposed to absorption through the digestive system. CBD also comes in oil tinctures which are CBD oils mixed with other healthy ingredients like coconut oil, spearmint, terpenes, other essential oils or natural herbs depending on the manufacturers.
CBD can also be ingested through vaping the oil itself; in this process, CBD is heated up to the point where it is vaporized and inhales into the lungs. This is the fastest way to feel the effects of CBD. CBD can also be swallowed in the form of capsules or taken with food and beverages like coffee. CBD creams and ointments can be applied to the skin to help with inflammation and pain.
Topical CBD oil is best for individuals who are looking for isolated pain relief for muscles, joints or to address severe skin conditions only. Some companies provide CBD in a range of beauty care products like shampoos, lotions, body washes, and conditioners. Gummies, and other edible forms of cbd are also available.
How Much CBD Should I Take?
10. There is no way to overdose on CBD so it is completely safe, but proper dosing should be used to prevent any adverse side effects. CBD varies in strength depending on the kind of CBD you buy and how concentrated it is. CBD also reacts differently with everyone who uses it, so starting slow and working up to an effective dose is best when becoming familiar with CBD.
We usually suggest starting with a 500mg CBD Oil Tincture and half a full dropper (or less) then moving up to a full dropper and 1000mg CBD Oil if your pain or relief is more severe.
However, each person has different needs, and is affected by CBD differently. Keep in mind that the time it takes for CBD to take effect may vary from person to person based on your diet, height/weight, body tolerance amongst others. But on an empty stomach, you can expect to feel the effects within 20-30 minutes. However, for some it takes a couple hours or even a few days.
Be consistent using the CBD for at least a week before moving to higher concentrations.
What Are The Ways To Take CBD?
When CBD oil in inhaled, through vaporization, the compounds are absorbed through the alveoli in the lungs, which provides a large absorptive surface area. Once through the alveoli, the CBD molecules are instantly absorbed into the bloodstream. Compared to ingestion, this method allows more CBD to be absorbed and offers faster absorption.
12. Topically on skin
When CBD oil is applied directly to the skin, its absorbed through the skin’s surface where it interacts with cannabinoid receptors.
Human skin has low permeability, which means it blocks substances from entering. The skin has a low absorption rate for cannabinoids, therefore the application of CBD creams, balms and lotions need to be heavy enough to overcome this barrier. Although when applied liberally, CBD is permeable enough to be absorbed through the pores in the skin.
The most common route of CBD oil treatment is orally. When CBD is ingested, it is absorbed by the digestive system. From the stomach, the compounds enter the hepatic portal system, where they are carried through the portal vein into the liver.
The liver then metabolizes the CBD molecules, in what’s referred to as the “first pass effect.” Ingestion, while considered by most to be the easiest administration method, is not the most efficient in absorbing high levels of CBD. Studies have found that consuming CBD oil with fatty acids can bypass first pass metabolism therefore increasing the concentration of CBD that is absorbed through ingestion.
Now that you have a general idea of CBD, how it works, the conditions it helps, and the ways to take it, be sure to check out our solutions to see which one of our premium CBD products is best for you!
Thank you for reading until the end. In return, feel free to use discount code GUMMYFREE for a FREE sample of CBD Gummy Bears!